From our brand ” The Humble Co” It’s almost the start of a new year and needless to say we’re all looking forward to leaving 2021 behind. We’re all hoping for a better tomorrow, but what about a better whole new year? To make that happen, it’s our responsibility as individuals to make the changes we want to see in the world. If you haven’t finished (or even started) your list of resolutions yet, consider making some small changes that can give our environment the help it needs. It’s crucial that we do even the smallest thing we can to reduce our waste and it’s not as difficult as you may think! Here are 6 planet-friendly resolutions for the New Year’s Resolutions to get you inspired and ready to make a difference:
Start recycling Besides protecting the ecosystems and wildlife, cutting climate-changing carbon emissions, saving energy, and reducing the demand for raw materials, by recycling you’re also conserving natural resources which are finite and, sadly, some are already in very short supply. In fact, recycling is the easiest, most impactful way to quickly reduce your carbon footprint.
How to do it: There are a lot of ways you can get your recycling game on. The best and easiest thing you can do is look for recycling bins scattered all over your city and make sure you’re sorting your unwanted materials accordingly. When it comes to batteries, look for in-store recycling bins to dispose of them.
2. Turn off your lights Fun (and very important) fact: when you turn off lights that aren’t being used, you can reduce your greenhouse gas emissions by 68g per hour.
How to do it: Turning off the lights when you leave a room is a simple way to reduce the amount of energy you’re using in your home or office. As is the case with any habit, it takes time to get used to it – but just like any new lifestyle change, you have to keep practicing it until it becomes second nature. However, it’s a habit worth making.
3. Swap your plastic toothbrush with a bamboo one Even though brushing your teeth may feel like an insignificant part of your daily woes, plastic toothbrushes can cause significant damage to our planet, with each person estimated to use 300 in their lifetime and each toothbrush taking up to 1000 years to decompose. So swapping your toothbrush will definitely be worthwhile. Don’t be intimidated by this change – there are plenty of alternatives on the market as the awareness of plastic pollution grows, so choosing the right toothbrush for you will prove to be fun and easy.
4. Compost Composting is a fantastic way to literally give back to the planet. There is a common false impression that food simply breaks down in a landfill without any issue. However, those veggie scraps from that salad you made will actually rot and produce methane gas if not composted.
How to do it: There are various ways to compost but if you’re living in an urban area and don’t have your own garden, collect your food scraps in a large bowl and keep it in the freezer. When you’re ready, take the scraps to your local farmers market if they have a compost station. You can also ask your local natural foods store if they compost.
5. Carry a reusable shopping bag Plastic bags are consumed by unaware wildlife, causing them harm and even death. Whales are being found with plastic bags in their stomachs and sea turtles are also mistaking plastic bags for food. Animals all over the world are paying the ultimate price for our actions and it’s time we take the step towards mending our mistakes.
6. Believe in your power to be the change we need It may not seem like much, but every single thing you do towards showing our planet how much you appreciate it can have a lasting impact for the years to come. Positive change doesn’t have to start with a giant crowd of people – every single one of us has the power to protect and heal the world we live in.
How to do it: Day by day, adopt and practice at least one of these resolutions. Even if you won’t see an instant difference, the years to come will be so much brighter because of you. Because you took a few minutes out of your day to change your life so you could save the planet.
Be eco-friendly today for a better tomorrow!